Uganda is a landlocked country. Air Transport is therefore of strategic importance to the nation as it guarantees an alternative gateway to the rest of the world.
It provides the most efficient and quickest transport means to Uganda and from the country to the rest of the world.
The country’s perishable high value commodities are also exported by air. The development of a safe, efficient and reliable air transport industry is thus among government’s priority programmes.
Located on the shores of Lake Victoria about 40km south of the capital, Entebbe International Airport (EBB) is the international gateway to Kampala and Uganda.
Entebbe International offers direct connections to Nairobi, Kigali, Dar es Salaam, Addis Ababa, Khartoum, Cairo, Johannesburg, Dubai, London, Amsterdam and Brussels.
Airlines based in Kampala (area code 041) flying to/from Uganda:
- Air Burundi (airline code 8Y; 256137)
- Air Tanzania (airline code TC; 345773; www.airtanzania.com)
- British Airways (airline code BA; 257414; www.britishairways.com)
- EgyptAir (airline code MS; 233960; www.egyptair.com.eg)
- Emirates (airline code EK; 349941; www.emirates.com)
- Ethiopian Airlines (airline code ET; 254796; www.flyethiopian.com)
- Gulf Air (airline code GF; 230524; www.gulfairco.com)
- Kenya Airways (airline code KQ; 344304; www.kenya-airways.com)
- KLM (airline code KL; 344304; www.klm.com)
- Rwandair Express (airline code WB; 232555; www.rwandair.com)
- SN Brussels Airline (airline code SN; 234200; www.brusselsairlines.com)
- South African Airways (airline code SA; 345772; www.flysaa.com)
- Sudan Airways (airline code SD; 230438; www.sudanair.com)
Visa & Passport
A valid passport is mandatory. Visa requirements keep on changing and before you travel inquires and at times you can get the visa upon arrival at the airport or land boarder crossing point.
Yellow fever vaccination certificate is required before you enter and you are requested to take malaria preventive measures. Remember to drink bottled water throughout your safari.
The unit of currency is a Uganda Shilling. While in big town you can use US dollar, travellers cheques or change the foreign currencies to local Uganda shillings.
Many Ugandans are fluent in English the official language, swahilli, luganda are commonly spoken among the 30 plus different indigenous languages.
When to visit
Uganda is all year good weather country with rains, which usually peak over mid September to November and March to May. During this period mountain hikes, gorilla tracking and forest walks are challenging.
What to put on
What to wear during safari depends on where you are and what time of the day. Light cotton shirts, T-shirts, jumpers, sweaters, jungle boots, sold walking shoes are needed. Do not forget to bring with you a hat, water proof jacket and sun glasses.
Come with good cameras, binoculars, zoom lenses for better wildlife viewing, 70/300 or similar. Print films and developing facilities are available in many of the towns